Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Comfort Food

During this windy day, I thought that I would make Mr. G some comfort food that would keep him warm. One of his favorite "go to" meals is Hamburger Helper. While I don't think there is anything wrong with Hamburger Helper, I personally perfer something a little more homemade. Thanks to the Kraft magazine, here is a homemade version of Cheeseburger Helper.

Velveeta Cheeseburger Mac

1lb. ground beef
2-3/4 cups water
1/3 cup ketchup
1tsp. onion powder (i use 1 small onion)
2 cups elbow macaroni, uncooked (i use small shells)
8oz. Velveeta, cut into cubes

*Brown meat and saute onion in large skillet and drain.
*Add water, ketchup; mix well; Bring to boil. Stir in macaroni; cover. Simmer on medium-low heat 8 to 10 minutes.
*Stir in Velveeta; cook until melted.

I go one step further. After the Velveeta is melted, I pour into a 9x13 casserole dish, cover with shredded cheddar cheese and put under the broiler until cheese is melted.

This is a great recipe to make ahead of time and freeze. Trust me, there will not be any leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment